Reason #1: It’s irrational to vote.
- The power of any individual vote to influence the outcome of the election approaching 0.
SOURCE: Downs, Anthony. Economic Theory of Democracy. 1957.
- More likely to die on the way to the election than influence the outcome of the election.
SOURCE: (All over the internet, but see especially) Philip Goetz @ overcomingbias.com, 2008; Mark Brandly @ Misus Institute, 2011; Jim Pagels @ Forbes, 2014.
Reason #2: Both parties are the same.
- Both parties complicit in the corporate take-over of America.
Mitt Romney’s Obamacare example.
SOURCE: (Also all over the internet) Jessica Taylor @ NPR.org.
Reason #3: It’s impossible to be an informed voter.
- Collusion between Whitehouse and Media excludes relevant information from political discourse.
SOURCE: Herman, Edward; Chomsky, Noam. Manufacturing Consent. 1988.
SOURCE: See Wikipedia on Domestic Surveillance in the US, and on ECHELON.
Reason #4: Voting as Propaganda.
- The voting mechanism has been highjacked by the political class to legitimize otherwise non-democratic policy decisions.
“America is an oligarchy”.
SOURCE: Gilens, Martin; Page, Benjamin. “Testing Theories of American Politics: Elites, Interest Groups, and Average Citizens.” Princeton, 2014.